Free Consultation. Free home/hospital visits.
Call Us 24/7 336-Bradley (336-272-3539)

Slip and Fall


We have represented many people who have been injured after slipping and falling on someone else’s property. Slip and fall accidents are part of an area of law known as “premises liability”. These cases are very fact specific and need to be handled correctly from the start. Do not delay in speaking with a lawyer as valuable evidence can and will be lost.

The Law in General:

North Carolina law states that all property owners have a duty to maintain their property in a safe manner so as to prevent others from being injured. If you have been injured because a property owner failed to maintain their property in a safe manner, you may have a claim for monetary damages. There are exceptions to this rule, but this is the law in general.

Monetary Damages:

If you have been injured due to an unsafe condition on another’s property, you may be eligible to recover the following damages:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Physical pain
  • Emotional suffering
  • Mileage to and from medical appointments
  • Prescription expenses
  • Permanent impairment / disability
  • Permanent disfigurement (i.e. scarring or burns)

Who Pays For My Damages?

The property owner is technically responsible for your damages, but their insurance company will be the one paying you. If you are at a person’s home, their homeowner’s policy will pay. If you are at a business, their general liability policy should pay.

Do I Have to File a Lawsuit?

Not necessarily. Many slip and fall cases are won or lost in the days following the injury. Evidence is either properly documented or it is lost. Witnesses move and forget. Unsafe conditions are fixed following an injury. If your case is not handled correctly from the start, your chances of recovering a monetary settlement are drastically decreased.

Bradley Law Group takes action at the start of your case to document evidence and open claims with any applicable insurance companies. If your claim is handled correctly up front, the chances are better that you can receive an acceptable settlement without having to file a lawsuit. If your case can be settled on fair terms you can avoid the time, frustration and expense presented by litigating a case in Court.

What Should I Do Following a Slip and Fall Injury?

  1. Report your injury to the property owner. If you are injured at a business or commercial property, ask that they prepare an incident report. If possible, get a copy of the incident report.
  2. Seek medical attention.
  3. Photograph the site of your fall and the surrounding area.
  4. Write down the name, address and telephone number for any and all witnesses to your fall. This will allow us to obtain witness statements at a later date to support your case.
  5. Contact Bradley Law Group to discuss your case. Don’t worry if you were able to document everything discussed above, we can help.
Do you think you have a Slip and Fall Case?
Complete our Free Case Evaluation form today!
Free Case Evaluation
* Disclaimer: Every case is different and must be evaluated separately. No results are guaranteed.
For membership qualifications of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, visit
R. Bradley Van Laningham is included in the 2013 edition of a publication titled America’s Best Lawyers. For membership qualifications visit
R. Bradley Van Laningham was honored by Business Leader Magazine in 2011 as a Top 50 Catalyst Entrepreneur. Got to for selection criteria.