INJURED DUE TO SOMEONE ELSE'S NEGLIGENCE?
“Negligence” is defined as the failure to use reasonable care. If you have been injured due to another’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover money damages for your injuries and other damages.
What types of cases are based on a theory of negligence?
There are many different types of claims that can result from negligent conduct, but some of the more common negligence based claims include:
- Car accidents
- Tractor Trailer accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Premises liability claims (hurt on another’s property)
- Slip and Fall
- Wrongful death
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home neglect
- Product liability claims
- Failure to provide adequate security
All of the above claims operate on the theory that a person was injured or killed due to another’s negligence. There are some additional rules and exceptions that can determine when you will have a valid claim for injuries, but this is the primary rule. Our lawyers can discuss the particulars of your case to give a free opinion as to whether you may have a claim for damages.
What Damages Can I Recover?
If you have suffered a personal injury due to another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover:
1. Compensatory Damages: Compensatory Damages are awarded to “compensate” you for the damages that you may have sustained as a result of your accident. These damages typically include the following:
- Medical bills
- Prescription bills
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Lost wages
- Mileage to and from doctor visits
- Permanent impairments / disabilities
- Permanent disfigurement (scarring)
- Future medical bills
2. Punitive Damages: Punitive damages may be available to you if the at-fault driver was intoxicated or was driving in a reckless manner. North Carolina law allows punitive damages to be recovered in these situations for two reasons. First, punitive damages are awarded to punish the drunk or reckless driver for their conduct. Second, punitive damages are awarded to deter the drunk or reckless driver and others from similar conduct in the future. Bradley Law Group works hard to recover punitive damages whenever they are allowed by law.
Things to do if you have been injured due to another’s negligence:
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries.
- If possible, have someone take pictures of your injuries and the accidents scene.
- Write down the name, address and phone number of all witnesses to the accident.
- Keep a daily diary and record how you feel and how your life has been affected as a result of the accident.
- Contact Bradley Law Group to discuss your case.
Things NOT TO DO Following an injury due to another’s negligence:
- DO NOT speak with any insurance company until you have spoken with a lawyer.
- DO NOT sign anything sent to you by any insurance company. Show these documents to your lawyer.
- DO NOT allow any insurance company to take your “recorded statement”.
- DO NOT discuss the facts of the accident or your injuries with any insurance company.
- DO NOT refuse medical treatment if your are hurt.
Why should I hire a lawyer to handle my case?
Negligence cases are far more complex than you would think. The negligent party’s insurance company has teams of highly trained adjusters and lawyers to protect their interests. Standing alone, you are no match for the insurance company and their team of professionals. It’s not a fair fight and the insurance company knows it. Bradley Law Group can level the playing field.
“Injured people recover 3 ½ times more when they were represented by a lawyer.”
(-2004 Insurance Research Council study)
Insurance companies are in business to make money. Insurance companies make money by collecting premiums and paying injured people as little possible. It’s a great business model for the insurance company, but not for the innocent victims. Bradley Law Group has the experience and the resources to make the insurance company play fair. We can help maximize your settlement.
What to expect from Bradley Law Group
- We will talk with you about your accident and your injuries.
- We will assist you in obtaining medical treatment if necessary.
- We will handle all communications with the insurance company regarding your personal injury claim. Let us deal with the hassles while you focus on healing.
- We will gather all accident reports, medical records, bills, evidence, etc.
- We will investigate all insurance coverage matters and open all appropriate claims.
- We will answer all of your questions in a timely and professional manner.
- We will assemble all evidence for review by the insurance company once you have completed your treatment.
- We will negotiate with the insurance company to get the highest offer possible.
- We will discuss your options once we have the highest offer from the insurance company to determine whether settlement or litigation is best for you.
- We will handle the disbursement of all settlement funds in accordance with state and federal laws to protect you.
- We will be your trusted partner throughout the duration of your case. It is our goal to answer your questions and put you at ease.
Is it a good idea for me to try to settle with the insurance company before hiring a lawyer?
NO! We have had to reject many cases that people have damaged because they attempted to handle themselves. Some people think that they will get more money if they don’t hire a lawyer. You get to keep more if you don’t have to pay a lawyer, right? Wrong. On average, people represented by a lawyer recover 3 ½ times more than people who try to settle their case without an attorney.
(2004 Insurance Research Council Study)
When a person attempts to settle their case on their own, the insurance company knows that they have the upper hand in the negotiations and will typically make an extremely low and unfair offer. Lots of people try to hire attorneys after they their case has been undervalued by the insurance company. By the time the insurance company has made an offer to someone who is unrepresented the case is normally damaged to the point that it cannot be fixed without expensive and time consuming litigation. You were already the victim of an accident, don’t let the insurance company make you a victim for a second time. Let Bradley Law Group represent you from the start. We will make sure that your case is handled correctly so that your rights are protected and you receive the highest settlement possible.